Sunday, March 22, 2009

Recession My Arse

bathhouse the hotel mandalay bay
After spending a hard week in McLean, Virginia with a bunch of Federal-type stiffs, I was looking forward to my 24 hour layover in Las Vegas before returning home to San Diego. A little sushi, a few cigars, a couple hands of blackjack...nothing beats a quick Vegas bender to get the carnal juices flowing again. What I was actually looking forward to was a nice massage at the Spa Mandalay Bay followed by some quality time lounging in the hot tub.

But it was not meant to be. I called for an hour session and the only opening they had on Saturday was at 7pm in the evening. I had them check their sister spa, The Bathhouse, and same deal. And these aren't your bargain basement massages either. What happened to the recession? I thought everyone is broke? Who are these arseholes booking $135-an-hour body treatments?

I suspect that while there are obviously people truly hurting during this economic downturn, things aren't necessarily that bad for everyone. In fact, there are still plenty of people out there with discretionary incomes and thankfully they're willing to spend some of that cash which hopefully will get us out of this economic funk. I hate to sound like one of those pricks who blame everything on the media, but I would bet that if the media would stop reporting on how bad things were, more people who are financially solid would stop hunkering down like its the godamn financial nuclear winter. As we pontificated earlier, fixing the economy is easy: people with cash need to start spending their money. Those who overextended themselves and racked up ungodly credit card bills and have a mortgage they barely can afford even with a side gig giving handies, you all need to sit down, eat some ramen, and stop fucking buying crap.

No comments: