Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cheap Boss

audi a6
Sometimes it feels like I'm surrounded by by a bunch of cheap, rich bastards. First, it was a half-a-million dollar a year banker whining about not being able to afford an Xbox. Then, there's my boss with a balance sheet approaching eight figures. This past week, he bought himself a brand-new, loaded Audi A6 for under $35K, which is about $15K below sticker. He was thrilled with the deal and bragged how he paid less for this A6 than the one he bought back in 1999. When I reminded him that in life one should always strive to improve, and that at this point he should be driving at least an A8, he responded with: "I remain humble".

What a big, steamy load of shit.

Annoyed as hell with his response, I did the only thing I could do short of slapping him upside the head, which probably wouldn't have been wise to do in recession: I Googled "quotes regarding false humility". Here are the two which I shared with him:

"Humility is often a false front we employ to gain power over others"
- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Too much humility is pride"
- German proverb

So there you go Mr. Ed, you're just a power-hungry, prideful cheap bastard driving an A6.

No comments: