Friday, December 26, 2008

No Compassion for Retail Blood Bath

nordstrom sucks rascist
All reports suggest that this will be one of the worse holiday shopping seasons in recent - and not so recent - history. People are just not shopping as they worry about losing their jobs and making their mortgage payments. And those that are shopping are the cheap bastard types who aren't below trying to barter at their local Macy's. I for one say, FUCK THE RETAILERS.

One would think that with the retail environment in shambles, stores would make an effort to take care of their better, higher margin customers. Apparently this is not the case, at least not at the UTC Nordstrom here in San Diego. I was online at 9:30AM this morning and saw that Hugo Boss Jest Jacket pictured was available at the UTC store. I was at the store by 10:00AM. I asked one of the ladies at the Men's department where the jackets were. She looked at me as if I was annoying her. She proceed to tell me that if it's not on the floor, they don't have it. I told her that I was just online and the web site said it was available for pick up at the UTC store. She said she had to check with her "manager", who proceeded to tell me the same thing. Bitch, I'm standing right there, although you're speaking to your peon, you can bother to make eye contact with me. The first lady than said maybe someone grabbed it and hid it upstairs in the Rail department and that I should go check. Not that SHE would check mind you, but that I should go upstairs and rummage through all the racks and see if someone hid it. I asked if perhaps the jacket is back in the storeroom. Nope. Not that she checked, just NOPE.

So I was thinking, why were they so rude? I showered this morning and put on some deodorant so I don't think I smelled. I had a pair of Rock & Republic jeans, a Hugo Boss Jacket, and sporting a Rollie so I think I looked like I could afford to shop at Nordstrom (or at least that I'm not homeless). And unlike the slightly snobby tone of this post, I'm actually fairly cordial in person so I don't think I was being rude. At 31, I still have a baby face and look pretty young but there were other guys in my age group and younger shopping in the Men's department and they appeared to be getting attention. Hmmm...could it be...that I'm Asian? One would think in the 21st century, with a Black President, we would have moved beyond such nonsense. Unfortunately, this is not the first time in San Diego that I've felt-like a second-class citizen when shopping. Hell, I was basically begging to hand someone a check when I was shopping for my Porsche and couldn't get anyone to even look my way (ended up going to a different dealer).

So here is the piece of advice I emailed Nordstrom customer service: "Either train your UTC staff to knock off their attitude or at least have them smarten up on their stereotypes. Asians have money, don't treat us like garbage, you ignorant donkeys."

OK, I left out the part about the donkeys (I told you I was cordial in real life). Btw, once I finally got back online, the jacket I wanted was sold out. Happy holidays to me.

No comments: