Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Where a Man Can Still be a Man


As I write this, I'm sitting on my comfy couch sipping my pre-work day coffee and smoking a tasty cigar that I received recently from Crew Member Drewsky. It makes me quite sad and angry that possibly in the not-to-distant-future, my couch may be one of the few places where I can legally light up a cigar. In fact, if the anti-smoking Nazis have it their way, I may not even be allowed to smoke in my own home either. Those fucking bastards.

Well before that apocalyptic day arrives, there are fortunately still a few places in the country where one can enjoy a good cigar in public. One of my absolute favorite places is The Palms in Tysons Corner, Virginia. "Tysons Corner, Virginia???" you may ask. Well, yes, Tysons Corner, Virginia. I have to spend quite a bit of time out there for my day job but I don't mind since it's quite a ritzy part of the country with plenty of great restaurants, shopping and lovely, high-powered ladies (I love a strong woman).

So what makes this particular Palms such a great place? Because, it is one of the few places left in the country where you and your compatriots can show up, grab a seat at the bar, order a perfectly cooked medium-rare bone-in rib-eye along with a stiff drink, and light up a cigar. Does that not sound like heaven dear readers? It still blows my mind that we in America, the land of the free, can barely exercise our right to enjoy a bloody piece of meat with a hand-rolled cigar. Gawd only knows what would happen to the free world if they had a no-smoking policy at 10 Downing Street during World War II. We'd all be speaking German and saluting a picture of a dickhead with a funny mustache.

While I don't believe smoking is permitted in the main dining areas - and that's OK, because we cigar smokers are generally a considerate bunch - the bar area is a cigar lovers haven. As soon as you walk in the main door, you smell the waft of sweet tobacco and hear the boisterous crowd of power brokers, bankers, and all sorts of characters blowing through their per-diem good steaks and wine. If you're able to find a place to seat in the typically busy bar, you'll be gruffly welcomed by one of their no-nonsense yet jovial bartenders and waiters. Be a man, don't bullshit around asking what kind of specials they have that day or whether they serve fish. They might just throw you out after they smack you in the face with a porterhouse.

And just like any good cigar-friendly venue, there are plenty of ashtrays and matchbooks and even tucked away section where you and your friends can enjoy your vices on a comfortable couch.

I usually arrive late at night, straight from Dulles Airport after a long cross-country flight. As soon as I'm seated, I don't even have to look at the menu: bone-in ribeye, medium-rare, side of mushrooms, and a Guinness. As soon as the drink arrives, I take a sip, light up a Padron 5000 Maduro, take a few puffs, and just smile.

Address:
1750 Galleria at Tysons II
McLean, VA 22102

Phone:
(703) 917-0200

No comments: