Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Luxe of the Day: Fisker Karma

Fisker Automotive Karma

Update 2/25/09: Below is the commercial for the Fisker Karma that aired this past Sunday during the Oscar's.



I was once a fat bastard. Topping out at over 250 lbs, I was finally shamed into shedding weight after seeing pictures of myself at my 29th burlesque-themed birthday party. It was quite shameful to see all these beautiful ladies around me while I looked like a bloated beluga whale. I joined a cardio-boxing gym and started working out 5 days a week. But as a food lover, I knew that I could never stick with any silly diets or deprive myself of all the good stuff that I love to eat (think chicken wings, carne asada burritos, etc.). So I promised myself to simply stick to my workouts and eat essentially whatever I want. Two years later, I've dropped 50 lbs, and more importantly, kept my weight off.

So what the hell does any of this have to do with today's Luxe of the Day, the eco-friendly Fisker Karma? Well, it describes our philosophy on the whole "green" thing: use common sense and make reasonable accomodations (i.e. recycle, don't start drilling for oil in the middle of a freaking arctic reserve, etc.) but don't sacrifice the things in life that make you happy. That's why we're torn about showcasing this hybrid supercar by Fisker Automotive: We love cars...especially sports cars...especially fast sports car that run on good 'ol fashion gas engines. When we step on the gas pedal, we want to hear the roar of the engine, not the quiet purr of a glorified golf cart. Despite our reservations, the sexy aesthetics of the Karma eventually won us over and led us to give it a thumbs up.

Fisker Automotive is a relatively new green car company dedicated to designing and building eco-friendly luxury cars. Henrik Fisker, the CEO of this venture, had his hand in the development of the BMW Z9 Roadster and also served as design director for Aston Martin. Not bad credentials. The Karma is the company's first production model with approximately 15,000 cars expected to be built, with delivery starting in 2010. Fisker claims that the Q Drive hybrid engine is able to power this four-door green chariot from 0 to 60 in under six seconds and can reach a top speed of 125 mph. The overall curves remind us of a blend between an Aston Martin and a Pontiac Solstice, which is a good thing.

So if you're a well-to-do car lover with a tree-hugging girlfriend/wife who would never stop hounding you if you purchased a 911 or Corvette, consider going to FiskerAutomotive.com and getting yourself on the wait-list with a $1,000 deposit. The remaining $79,000 will be due at delivery. For us, we'd rather drop the cash on a Porsche Cayman S and just recycle more.

If you enjoyed this post, please vote for it on BlogEngage
.

No comments: